By Dr. Mercola
The video above, “The Fat Emperor: Insulin Versus Cholesterol,” features Ivor Cummins, a biochemical engineer with a background in medical device engineering and leading teams in complex problem-solving.
In 2013, Cummins ran into health problems. His serum ferritin was very high (which is a potent risk factor for heart disease), as were his liver enzymes. After consulting with three different doctors, he realized none of them really understood the root cause of these problems, or how to address them.
As a result, he delved into the medical literature, found the problem and reversed his abnormal test results. He also dropped 35 pounds in the process.
Eventually, he got more involved in health and began giving lectures such as this one, which was presented at the Low Carb USA Keto Getaway1 in Florida this past January. He also has a website, thefatemperor.com,2 where he notes:
“I refer primarily to the ‘diet-heart’ hypothesis, which proposed that dietary saturated fat elevated blood cholesterol, and the latter drove heart disease mortality like nothing else.
The evidence at the time was loose correlation, certainly not causation, and seems almost laughably naïve in retrospect.
However, the tenaciousness of this flawed hypothesis has turned out to be no laughing matter, condemning millions to the misery of obesity, type 2 diabetes and an extraordinary range of inflammatory diseases.
The factors that conspired to perpetuate the flawed hypotheses were many: academic and research community hubris, political forces, economic imperatives, profiteering from the food and pharmaceutical industries, and the groupthink psychology that underpins the worsening ‘diabesity epidemic.
After 25 years in technical/management positions with a personal specialty in complex problem solving, I have been inspired to … bring an engineering-style approach to the current situation.”
The Cholesterol Conundrum
The vast majority — about 80 percent — of the cholesterol in your body is made by your liver. The remaining 20 percent comes from your diet. If you consume less, your body will compensate by making more, and vice versa.
Contrary to popular belief, cholesterol is a crucial molecule necessary for optimal health, and not nearly the damaging culprit it’s been made out to be.
Since cholesterol is a fatty substance, it does not travel well through your water-based bloodstream. Hence it is encapsulated in a lipoprotein. Cummins likens the very-low-density lipoprotein (VLDL) your liver makes to a boat that shuttles not only cholesterol but also triglycerides through your bloodstream to your tissues.
The VLDL will dock onto receptors in your muscle tissue, where it releases triglycerides to be used for energy. Cummins accurately notes that eating fat is not the cause of high triglycerides.
If your triglycerides are high, it means you’re eating too many net carbohydrates, because it’s actually sugar that causes triglycerides to rise, not dietary fat.
Once the VLDL has dropped off the triglycerides to be burnt for energy (or stored as fat if you’re not using the energy due to inactivity), the VLDL becomes a low-density lipoprotein (LDL), which in conventional thinking is a “bad” kind of cholesterol.
High-density lipoprotein (HDL) is colloquially known as “good” cholesterol, and the HDL is indeed beneficial in that it acts as a master manager, helping protect the LDL against oxidation and transport triglycerides and cholesterol in and out of the VLDL.
In a healthy person, the LDL will be reabsorbed by the liver after about two days, where it gets broken up and recycled. This is a beautiful system; alas, it is one that can be disrupted if you’re eating too many unhealthy foods.
As a general rule, a high-sugar diet will cause damaged LDL to rise, beneficial HDLs to drop, triglycerides and, often, total cholesterol to rise. All of these are conventional indicators of atherosclerosis or inflammation in your arteries that can precipitate a heart attack.
For the rest of Dr. Mercola’s great read use this link:
- Cardiovascular: The results which were the most startling was the number of open-heart procedures which had been scheduled and were subsequently canceled when the individual’s EKG returned to normal. This happened in as little as six weeks of ingesting Organic Sulfur. 54 cases like this have been reported. Our blood vessels also regenerate, and we believe that these canceled surgical procedures could be an example of such regeneration. The group has also seen the reduction of scar tissue, high blood pressure, and the breakdown of calcium plaque in the arteries. Thus, we believe organic sulfur would be likely to benefit Alzheimer’s sufferers as well.
WOW, this is huge:
Heart disease mentioned at 19:45-22:15
SPECIAL SECTION ON TREATING CHF NATURALLY:
33:30 min. mark below:
Make sure you talk with your doctor before making changes.
PLEASE BOOKMARK MY BLOG & SHARE IT.